Friday, December 9, 2011

I love this time of year and its even more special this time around because we get to celebrate in the comfort of our own home.  I love decorating for the holidays and one of my favorite part of Christmas is putting up our tree.  Skyler also loves to decorate and finds so much joy in picking out all the decorations so I let him chose everything.  This year Skyler gets so excited when he sees anything gold.  When we go to the store and he spots something that is gold (like a shiny gold purse or a piggy bank) he yells "Yay its gold for childhood cancer!"  He really does believe that everything they make that is gold is specifically made just for bringing awareness to childhood cancer.  So this year when I asked him what kind of tree we should do I wasn't surprised when he told me he wanted a gold one for childhood cancer.  He helped me pick out all the gold ornaments and ribbon and put everything on the tree by himself.  It was so fun to watch him as he decorated and I couldn't help think back to where he was this time last year, laying in a hospital unable to move or talk.  It brings tears to my eyes everytime I think how far he has come and it makes me so much more grateful for the little things that we have.




8 comments:

smilinjo said...

Been following your blog for a while now and am so happy for you and Skyler to be home for Christmas. Merry, Merry Christmas to you both and a blessed New Year!

Heather said...

Ok, now that is an awesome tree!

Becky said...

I've been following your blog for a little while now after finding the link on my nephew Jackson's cancer blog. For the record, I absolutely love your Christmas tree! I went to the Festival of Trees this year hoping to see hundreds of trees just like yours but there wasn't a single one. Thanks for sharing Skyler's story; I'm cheering him on all the way.

Lisa said...

Your tree is so cute! I'm glad I got to see it in person the other night. Skyler is amazing. I'm so happy that you're both home for Christmas and decorating and making cookies and all the fun that the holiday brings! Much love...

suzie said...

Love the tree!! You and ur mommy did such a Good job Super skyler!!! I bet ur tree Skyler is the BEST tree that's in anyones house! :) my kids think its AMAZING! Merry christmas cutie!

Crystal....ur so dang awesome in so many ways, I'm not kidding, ur lil skyler has made me such a better person just by getting to "know" him. Even though I'm 29 and a mom myself....he has taught me so much abt faith, patience, love, endurance and courage!! He is my hero!

*suzie

Briana said...

crystal, the tree looks great! what a clever idea! skyler is such a thoughtful, sweet boy.

schmitt family said...

Crystal, its Chandra Schmitt, Jessicas mom. We are up here with my sister and would love to see you and Skyler. If it is an ok time, here is a number...435-705-1510. We think about you often and always hope for the very best for you and Skyler

Kristin said...

Seriously love the tree Crystal. Why can't I do awesome things like that? I am so glad you are in a better place from last year. You guys are amazing and I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!