Yesterday morning was a little scary for me, but that night turned out amazing so I didnt want to take away from that but here it goes. Skyler's bilirubin has been slowly going down everyday, it had gotten up to 16 (a normal number would be .5) it had been going down though and the other day it was five. Skyler woke up yesterday morning looking really yellow though, so they checked his bili and it had shot up to 12. Thats such a big jump! Normally it just creeps up and then creeps back down, but yesterday it shot up high and fast. Needless to say everyone was worried so they took him down to do an ultrasound of his liver. They were looking for some kind of blockage in the liver that would explain this. They didnt find any blockage but they did see alot more of the little white spots. They saw them last month too, but this time they saw ALOT more. Not good. They thought it could either be the Leukemia coming back or his fungus becoming more active. Definitely not the news I was looking for. I just couldnt believe this was happening, I dont know how I could handle another big setback and a trip back down to the PICU. And worst of all, could his little body handle another big setback? I was pretty much a nervous wreck waiting for the Oncologist to come talk to me about our options. She told me that if it was the Leukemia in the liver then it must be a pretty resistant kind to the chemo and they would have to give him a stronger chemo which would just slam his body again. And if it was the fungus then they would have to start him back on the antifungal medicine that is horrible for his liver. This is the medicine that they think caused his liver disfunction in the first place. Both of those options were such bad news! I felt sick. Toward the end of our conversation I kinda checked out mentally. The room started spinning a litte and I felt like I might throw up right there. She told me two tests needed to be done to see what we were dealing with, a bone marrow aspirate to check for cancer cells, and a CT scan to check for the fungus. They didnt want to do the CT right away if they didnt have to because his kidneys are finally starting to work again and the contrast that they would have to use damages the kidneys, so they scheduled him for the bone marrow aspirate this morning to check for the cancer first.
I woke up this morning really nervous, but to my great surprise his bili had gone down to 6 and he looked much better! He eyes were alot less yellow. We were all kinda shocked but in a good way. They decided to hold off on the tests and see what his body does. They still have no clue what made him jump up and down like that, but then again it seems like they have no clue why his body does alot of things. Most of the things that have happened to him are just not normal for the type of cancer he has. The rest of the day today he did pretty good. He opened presents and played with a therapy dog. He was smiling and laughing and took some really good naps. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders this morning. His little body just continues to surprise us everyday. Tomorrow morning we will check another bili and see what it is at. Hopefully it has gone down some more instead of going up again. So a few extra prayers tonight would be much appreciated.
Here are some pictures from our good day. Alot better than having to have a huge needle jabbed into his hip down into the bone!