This morning Skyler developed a fever of 102. A one time temp of 101 or above is a gauranteed trip to the hospital so early this morning we headed up to clinic. They told us to pack a bag because if his ANC was under 500 then he would be admitted. Since they were only 300 on Wed it was most likely that we were going to be admitted. When we got to clinic they drew cultures and counts and surprisingly his ANC jumped up to 800. Yay! Since he wasnt acting sick and his ANC was ok they sent us home. Usually when someone goes in with a fever they start the antibiotic Rocephin right away as precautionary measures, but since Skyler is on three heavy duty antibiotics already there was no need for it. Rocephin is nothing compared to what he is on. The plan is just to wait and see what his temp does and wait for the cultures to come back. No news is good news in this case so Im hoping I dont get a call this weekend. The last thing Skyler needs right now is a line infection, but since I have to access his line so many times a day that possibility becomes a lot more likely. I try so hard to make sure I do everything right and keep everything as clean as possible, so if the line is infected that would be so devastating for me because it would be my fault.
Here is a picture of his antibiotic syringes. This isnt even a whole weeks worth. They used to come in bags which I hung from an IV pole but since he is hooked up for most of the day an IV pole would be such a hassle to get around with. Luckily there were able to switch us over to a syringe and pump.