Thursday, March 8, 2012

On Monday we had our home health nurse come draw labs to see if Skyler's counts had come up enough to restart his oral chemo.  To our surprise his ANC (which was in the perfect range days ago) tanked and he is very neutropenic.  Basically he has no immune system right now which explains the fevers.  It doesn't really explain his leg and knee pain though so if it continues the doctor wants to do a bone marrow aspirate to make sure it isn't leukemic cells causing the pain.  So fingers crossed that the pain will stop and his ANC will come up so we dont have to do the aspirate.

I bought tickets to Disney on Ice awhile ago for this Saturday and Skyler has been looking forward to this for months, but now being neutropenic he cant go.  I just don't have the heart to tell him yet.  This has given him something to look forward to for so long and it would have been the first big thing I have taken him to.  I'm super bummed and praying that his ANC will magically jump up today.  It probably wont happen, but here's to wishing I don't have to break his heart tomorrow.  I have been getting used to starting to live our lives again, but at times like this cancer rears its ugly head and reminds me that it still has control over our lives.

4 comments:

The Hernandez Family said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Poor guy. Hope he feels better soon, and you will be able to go to another Disney On Ice show soon!

Tonya said...

So sorry to hear this! It just doesn't seem fair! We are thinking and praying for you and Skyler.

Erin said...

I'm thinking of you both, and hoping this doesn't lead to a BMA for Skyler. It makes me angry that cancer can even take this fun-filled day from you both. Stay strong.

Erin

Ashleigh said...

Oh, poor little guy! I feel terrible that he didn't get to go! I am sorry he's not feeling well again. I will keep you both in my prayers!