Sunday, May 20, 2012

                             Sometimes I think of cancer as a big tornado.



 It's destructive and deadly and affects everyone in its path.  It doesn't discriminate.  It can destroy and take the lives of young or old, black or white, big or small.  Picture a big tornado coming toward you.  Who would you protect first?  Would you run away and leave the kids to find a way to get out of its path on their own?  Like most people, I know I would do anything and everything to make sure my child was safe first before anything else.  So why is it that we are leaving our children out in the open and in the tornado's path when it comes to finding a cure?  It just doesn't make sense to me and it makes me so sad.  This week I have learned that three of Skyler's cancer buddies have been put on hospice.  One of them actually left this earth this morning and the other two aren't far beyond.  Their bodies are weakening as the cancer takes over.  It just isn't fair.  They should be up and running around and playing like kids should.  The pain their families must be feeling is beyond words and it hurts me knowing that.  It hurts knowing that if we had put more attention on finding a cure for childhood cancers like we do for others, that their lives might have been spared.
Please take a moment to hug your children a little tighter.  There is a mother out there today that doesn't get that opportunity anymore.

No comments: