Monday, September 5, 2011

Even though this break hasnt been what I had imagined due to needing a unit of blood and having to hook him up to his Meropenem throughout the day and night, we still have been able to get out and do some fun things that he has been wanting to do.  Its been so nice having him feel good and to be able to say yes to more things.  He is also so happy all the time now and has been so cute.  Its been wonderful!!


Our first big outing was to the movie theater to see SpyKids.  Skyler loves going to movies and loves SpyKids.  He says when he grows up he wants to be one of the guys that makes video games but on Tuesdays and Thursdays he wants to be a spy.  I took him during the day when all the kids were in school and lucky for us we were the only ones in the theater.  He got a big bucket of popcorn and licorice and really enjoyed the movie.  This movie was in 4D meaning it had smells.  He had a card full of numbers and when a number flashed on the screen he would scratch it and sniff it and it would smell like the thing on the screen.  He thought it was awesome!  My favorite part about the movie was the main boy spy kid had hearing aids and they were blue just like Skyler picked out.  It was just the right timing to see this because Skyler should be getting his within the next couple of weeks.


We also went to the Aquarium.  He loved it because he loves fish.  Here he is with a small shark behind him


This was my favorite part...the penguins!  Skyler thought they were so cute and funny and kept laughing at them



Another favorite part of mine was watching him wave to all the fishies.  So cute!




I was even brave enough to take him out to eat.  Even though I was secretly having a panic attack I took him into eat at The Pizza Factory.  It wasnt really busy which made it a little easier for me.  He loved the giant bread sticks they have there.






We went mini golfing again too.  Grandpa and Ty came too and he had so much fun.  For Skylers sake we reversed it and whoever gets the most points wins.  Guess who won?  Skyler!


Today we went with my dad to the Hill Aerospace Museum to look at all the big jets.  Notice that he isnt wearing a mask inside!  Im getting braver and braver and it feels good to be somewhat normal again. 


I just love this kiddo!!


This was our favorite plane.  It was huge!




9 comments:

Hilary said...

Hi, you don't know me. I was friends with Adam Stevens in high school and he posted the link to your blog on facebook once. I've been checking on and praying for you guys ever since. Anyway, I just had to comment because my 5 year old son has blue hearing aids too! He suffered hearing loss as a result of being on gentamycin (sp?). He also has swirly blue ear molds and thinks they are so cool. He has all of his friends and his little sister jealous because he says they give him super hearing powers :) My son was 3 when he got his and even though it was a shock and an adjustment, it hasn't been as hard as I expected. They have really opened a new world to him and helped him to enjoy life so much more. He even does a music class and everything now and does just as well as the other kids. Once kids understand what the hearing aids are they usually forget about them and treat Jayden like anyone else. We just taught Jayden to explain that they're like glasses, but for ears instead and that seems to make sense to the other kids. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you're not alone and that life with hearing aids isn't so bad :)

I'm so glad Skyler's life is getting back to normal a bit. We will continue to pray for you both! Feel free to check out my blog if you want, if even just to see Jayden with his hearing aids. I know he always likes to see other kids who have them so Skyler might be interested too. It's gregandhilary.blogspot.com

susi and adam said...

So fun!!! So glad you are getting to enjoy life. You guys so deserve it! :) So did you guys eat all that popcorn ? haha. love it

suzie said...

He is just SOOOOOOOOOOO STINKIN CUUUUUUTE!!!!! I am sooo happy for skyler for the fun fun day he had.....deserves it more than anyone!! I love how aware and smart u r abt all and everything u do for skylers sake and his highlt sensitive immune system. Idk if I ever mentioned but my mom had cancer and when she was "able". To (which wasn't a lot) to go out to restaurants we would bring our own silverware so she wldnt get sick from theirs. Ur so smart, even dwn to u putting a blanket on the movie chair to protect from so many germs. Thank u for letting us get to know ur inspirational little man!!!

*suzie

Briana said...

This post does my heart good. I'm so happy to hear that you guys got to go out and about a bit - even with all the junk going on. Yay!

Ashleigh said...

Oh, those smiles are priceless! I am so glad he's been able to get out and be a kid again. He deserves it! I know it's really hard for you to take him out and about. I hope he can enjoy some fun Fall activities before the dreaded winter/sickness season arrives.

Chelsie said...

Oh this post makes me so happy! Yay for the both of you!

Roger said...

That kid is getting so big! SO glad to see that he is getting out and about, way to go Sky!!!

lea said...

He LOOKS so happy! What a miracle your boy is! Im so happy that you can see that cute smile on his handsome face...and that you share it with us! Thanks for being you.

Erin said...

Skyler's been a busy boy, growing hair!

He looks like he's had a great time being able to get out and do some fun things. I'm so glad you've been able to get him out and about.

Erin