Yesterday Skyler went in for an MRI to check his belly and also to check and see if the bone underneath his pressure sore was infected. We were told that the bone shows no sign of infection (thank goodness) but it did show numerous little abscess covering his liver, spleen, and kidneys. They are too many and they are too little to drain, which would be the normal way to treat abscesses, so they are starting him on a new antifungal. They say these abscesses are treatable but the treatment is MUCH longer. They also may have to start him back on an antifungal he was taking that was really hard on the liver and kidneys. The decision they are waying now is whether to keep him on this antifungal and kill his kidneys for good or to get rid of this infection. (the answer is obvious but devastating) His kidneys will most likely be shot...huge bummer!
So we made a decision on the spleen, it will be taken out tomorrow morning. They decided to do it right now because he will not get any better with it in, his counts are ok right now, he is already intubated, and they have to start chemo again this week so his cancer doesnt come back and the spleen has to be removed first or the chemo wont really work. This is such a huge deal for Skyler. They are worried that his blood pressure with drop and other life threatening things may occur because of how sick he is right now, but they just have to take the risk right now because they have to. I am so scared!!!! And I thought waiting for him to come out of Saturdays surgery was hard! They may just have to hook me up to Sky's Fentanyl drip tomorrow.
Right now Skyler is hanging in there. His bilirubin is up right now so his skin and eyes are yellow, but other than that there hasnt been any big changes today. The eye doctor came and looked at his eyes to see if the fungus had made its way up there and it hasnt, so thats really good news.