The night before last Skyler developed a fever of a 100.4. A fever in a cancer patient isnt taken lightly so the protocol is if Skyler stayed above 100.3 for over an hour he needs to go to the ER, or if he has a one time temp of 101 or above. Skyler stayed at 100.4 for only 45 mins and then slowly started to go down. I was so relieved and just thought that it was a fluke or something, but no the next day he got up to 102 so off to the ER we went. They drew cultures and gave him an IV antibiotic, Rocephin. His counts came back and his white count had almost doubled and his ANC was 12.0! The high end of normal for an ANC is 8.0 so I really didnt believe it when they told me (it was right though) weird. They told me that his body was responding appropriately though to whatever is going on. His hematocrit came back really low so he was in need of a blood transfusion. I wasnt surprised, he has been looking really pale lately so I was expecting this. They told me I could wait and get it done in the ER (no thank you) or wait until the next day and get in done in ICS. Of course I chose ICS. The less time spent in the ER the better, and also the less someone from the ER touches his line the better. No one there knows how to work his line because they dont see dialysis catheters very often so I usually have to teach them. Its very frustrating. That night Skyler's temp got close to 103 but I just gave him Tylenol knowing that we would be going back up to the hospital soon anyway. So when we woke up we got admitted to ICS for some much needed blood. Thank you donors!! They cultured his line again, gave him blood, and another dose of Rocephin and were sent home. He still had a fever but we were told there wasnt much more they could do without knowing what was going on. We just had to wait for the cultures to come back. The doc said to call in the morning if he still had a fever, if he did then they wanted him back up there for more antibiotics and cultures. During the night he got up to 102.7 and was still feverish when he woke up, so back up to the hospital we went today. They cultured his line again and gave another dose of Rocephin. The cultures so far have not grown anything. Thank goodness! But today his white count went up even higher to 18 and his ANC is now 15.6. They are both so high, so obviously he has some kind of infection. His platelet count also dropped from over 300 to 88 in two days. Thats the lowest it has been for awhile. Im worried that his body is getting resistant to the anitfungal medication I give him every night. It has happened before in the PICU and we had to change the medication. I hope this is not the case because having his fungal infection become active again is a scary thought. To say Im worried right now is an understatement. I just cannot deal with another bad infection and long stay again. I dont know how I got through 4 1/2 straight months there, these two days have been hard. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him. He deserves to feel good for a change. I wish with everything in me that this had happened to me instead of my little boy. Its hard watching him have to go through all this and feel so yucky all the time and know that there is nothing I can do to make it better.
The plan for tonight is more Tylenol if needed and if he is still having fevers then tomorrow we will go up to clinic and hopefully Dr. Lemons will be there. Please pray this isnt anything bad and that his body will fight off whatever is going on.