We had quite the interesting morning. First off, I was able to go on the radio station 97.1zht this morning and talk about the CureSearch Walk coming up on July 9th. I was really excited about this because this is their first walk here in Utah and I really want to help make it successful. I was very grateful that they were willing to have us on and talk about it. I went with a couple other cancer moms. I wasn't able to get into detail about it because I was on for just a short time, but I will get what I can take. In case you didn't already hear about it, CureSearch is having a walk in July to celebrate and honor those lives affected by childhood cancer, along with raising awareness and funds. CureSearch funds the research for the Children's Oncology Group (COG) which Primary Children's is apart of. Alot of people don't know about them because so much of their funds go towards research not advertising. Did you know that childhood cancer is one of the LOWEST funded cancers? We are still using drugs from the 50's 60's and 70's, we are just giving more now. Along with finding a cure we need to find new chemo drugs that are less toxic for these kids. Too many of these children will be living with devastating life long side effects from such harsh drugs. Cancer will never be over for them. It will still leave a destructive path. I'm scared to think what Skyler will have to be dealing with when all of this is "done" Last year alone there were 180 kids that were diagnosed with cancer here in Utah. So that averages out to 4 kids a week. There were 4 parents told each week those awful words "Your child has cancer" We need a cure. But to find a cure we need funds for research. To learn more, join Skyler's team, or donate you can go to his page http://www.curesearchwalk.org/saltlakecity/teamskyler If you don't want to walk just spreading the word would be great!
Being able to talk on this radio station was actually a blessing in disguise. I had to get up really early this morning to make it there on time. Usually me and Skyler sleep in later than most because we go to bed later than most (his last med is at 12:00....ugh!) Today my mom took a couple hours off work so she could stay with Skyler while I went on. While I was getting ready the light in the hall all of a sudden flipped on. I was so confused because no one was down stairs. I then saw a flame burst out of the light switch and then lots of smoke started coming out as well. I quickly got my mom and she turned off the breaker but it was still smoking alot. She called 911 and they told us to get out of the house. I had to run and grab Skyler and take him to a neighbors house while the fire department came. They came and cleared the house but they told my mom that if I hadn't have caught it when I did it would have turned into a big fire fast. Scary thing is if it hadn't have happened on this morning, me and Skyler still would have been asleep and no one would have been home. The switch was right by mine and Skyler's room too! I believe in my heart that Skyler was definitely being watched over today.